Friday, February 28, 2020

Learning phases

Three phases of learning:

Encoding:

  • How I understand the subject and translate it into something comprehensible for me
  • Can be enhanced by using all three major methods of learning: auditive (for example by listening to a podcast or a lecture), visual (for example by looking at a diagram, might also be through reading), and kinetic (for example by doing an exercise, writing, getting your hands into stuff)

Storage:

  • How I store the subject in my memory
  • Can be improved by various techniques, for example visualizing a house with various rooms, where I can put items to remember


Retrieval:

  • How I retrieve the subject from my memory
  • Can be practiced by thinking back after any learning experience, and trying to recall what I have actually learned
  • For example, when reading a book, after each chapter, write down the major things that I remember from that chapter

No comments: