Monday, January 6, 2020

A personal journal and goal tracker - almost out of the iPhone box

I have created a micro journal/goal setup on my iPhone, built with stuff already on my iPhone, on my Google account, and connecting them through a site called IFTTT (If This Then That).

Here's the work flow for keeping track of different activities in my journal:
  • On my iPhone I click on a "Journal" icon on my homescreen
  • I select a topic from a list, for example "Run", add a count (for example of how many kilometers) and can also enter some notes if I like
  • Every early morning I get an email, either of celebration if I have achieved a goal, or of encouragement if I'm still not quite there


How this journal/goal setup works:
  • Go to IFTTT, sign up and create a webhook that triggers a google sheet
  • It is very well described in this article how to do that: iOS Shortcuts for Data Capture (go down to the section called "Via IFTTT")
  • So, by following that guide you'll now have a shortcut icon on your iPhone that adds a row to a Google sheet
  • To create an email notification with some stats, open that spreadsheet
  • I have named the first tab where the rows are added "Hændelser" (Danish for "events")
  • I have created a second tab called "Mål" which contains my weekly or monthly goals

  • In your spreadsheet, go to the menu bar and select Tools and then Script Editor
  • Enter the following script, which will aggregate your data and send you an email:
  • Google app script that creates status mail from journal
  • Remember to change the names of your sheets, if you have named them differently than I have
  • In the script, go to Edit and then Triggers For The Current Project
  • Add a new trigger that calls the top level function "sendGoalStatus"
  • I have set it to run every morning
Every morning when I wake up, I have a fresh status of what I've done, and how far I am towards reaching my goals.

No comments: